Tuesday, July 05, 2005

My Patriotic Film Festival

As an American, I am obliged to celebrate my love for the United States every July 4th, our Independence Day. Unfortunately as a lonely, anti-social, emotional shut-in, I found myself without anyone with which to celebrate. Fearing the outdoors as much as any pastey skinned nerd who maintains a blog I decided to throw myself an All-American Film Festival. With the help of my local Hollywood Video Store -Hollywood video remains far superior to Blockbuster stores, regardless of the Blue and Yellow Behemoth's recent attempts to appease their long jilted costumers- I selected four movies which occupied my entire day and reminded me of those things I love most about America and Americans.
I didn't want the traditional hodge-podge of boistorous flag-wavers and jingoistic claptrap, that usually were produced as thinly veiled propoganda during times of war. No Yankee Doodle Dandy, or The Alamo, or even, heaven forbid, Independence Day. I wanted films that found a more enlightend and well-rounded look at this nation. The four films I selected each have something strong to say about American ideals and values. I list them here in the order I viewed them along with what I thought they said about the old U.S. of A.

The Right Stuff (d. Philip Kaufman, 1983)- Aside from being a rousting and inspiring film of true courage and dedication, this used the Mercury astronauts as examples of America's best features during the 20th century. The U.S. did not come do dominate the 1900's by the power of our military or the weight of our ideas (despite what neo-conservatives say) it was because we had the boundless courage to take the greatest risks of the time. We were the bold, brash adventurer in a world where older nations had fallen weary and broken under depression and war. It was that spirit that sent us journeying to the moon when we had barely explored the sky. We strapped ourselves to tin cans on top of well-aimed tubes of explosives, because we knew our future was no longer ahead of us. It was now above us.

Field of Dreams (d. Phil Alden Robinson, 1989)- The story is at once tremendously simple and poetically ethereal. A corn farmer in Iowa builds a baseball diamond in the middle of his field at the prompting of a voice that may only be in his head. What follows is a beautiful journey to spiritual discovery that touches on the themes of family, the Sixties, and the power of dreams. It does such a fine job of turning old liberal ideals into an overall conservative message, that I think this film may mark the turning point in U.S. history when the "if it feels good, do it" hippies of the 1960's metamorphed into the "me first" Republicans of the 1990's and beyond. Still, it emboldens those two elements of the American spirit that propelled its formation: an unabashed optimism, and a commitment to our idealism, where ever it may lead.

Gettysburg (d. Ronald F. Maxwell, 1993)- I notice at this point that all of the movies I have selected were based on novels or non-fiction books. This is the only film whose source material, Michael Shaara's classic The Killer Angels, I have read. Aside from presenting the most sweeping, and detailed look at the U.S. Civil War ever filmed, the personal take of the novel and the film remind us of the great troubles our nation has seen. Americans have committed atrocities in the past, namely slavery, and we have visited great inhumanities upon each other. A strong nation and a strong people know that the best way to rectify past wrongs is to dedicate the future to serving a greater good. It is this thought as expressed by Jeff Daniels' Joshua Chamberlain, that reminds us that America's true potential shall never die.

All the President's Men (d. Alan J. Pakula, 1976)- This amazing retelling of Woodward and Bernstein's breaking of the Watergate Scandal, and the eventual undoing of the Nixon presidency, is perhaps an odd choice for a patriotic festival. But I believe that America's commitment to ideals over institutions, its ability to police itself, and to always expect greatness from our leaders are our greatest gifts. The film wonderfully recaptures the mystery and tension surrounding the events and reminds us that in a democracy no man is so powerful he cannot escape justice. Dissent and confrontation of institutions is not particularly popular as I write this, and all sides of the political gamut will cling to the protection of tradition at times.For however long Americans are willing to challenge tradition, we will still be a great country.

Of course I couldn't find all the videos I wanted, nor could I fit much more movie into one day so I submit a list of films that speak equally well to the wonder of my country.

The Distinguished Gentleman- The terrific Eddie Murphey comedy shows politicians at both their best and their worst.

Born on the Fourth of July- Oliver Stone's biography of Ron Kovic, reminds us of the power of protest, and displays one of Tom Cruise's best performances.

Malcom X- Spike Lee's classic biopic, and in my opinion his best film, reminds us all that revolutionaries, whether accepted by the public or not, are vital to the shaping of our nation.

The Grapes of Wrath- Tom Joad and his Oakie kin prove that if an American has been knocked flat on his back, he just has abetter view of the stars.

Avalon- A touching retelling of the American immigrant story, and also the source of one of my all time favorite movie lines, "You cut the turkey without me!?"

Coming to America- the Eddie Murphey signature piece, that touches on immigration, poverty, race, and love in the United States.

Those are the films I selected. If ever anyone reads this please let me know through the comment featue, which I have been assured works well for feedback and the like, which films you would add, remember the goal is a well-rounded look at America in all its glory.

1 comment:

Liz Kolb, Ph.D. said...

This is an interesting reflection