Tuesday, October 25, 2005

An Ownership Society

I fear the repercussions of posting my personal information on this blog. Naturally I don't mean accidentally telling you all my cel phone number, or where I buried the bearer bonds. I just worry because I feel I work on some sensitive projects. While spewing my missives into the electronic abyss may help me think about these things, I still must guard against accidentally giving you details of a person or situation of which I have knowledge that those involved may wish to keep private. I have so far tried to be as veiled as possible in my writings while still allowing for those I am try to communicate with know of what I speak.
The question here is one of ownership. I have access to information about others, but I do not own the information. It's simply not mine to give away. Yet so many issues involving information technology revolves around these questions. Can anyone own information posted on the Web? If not, then how can someone feel safe in posting anything on the Internet that may be of value to them, but since its out here in the "free domain" or "market place of ideas", they can't control what happens to it? If someone can own information then how do you protect it? Or, perhaps to dray a sharper point, then why share it at all, given the well known risks of the Internet?
As I have said before information technology can model anything. We can use it to create whatever suits us, and then transform into something entirely different in the next second. Nothing is impossible out here amongst the ether. But then I am reminded of Roger Ebert's criticism, (here I am paraphrasing) "If nothing is impossible, then does anything matter?"
As an educator I think about these things and wonder if this impacts the utility of teaching with technology. I think of the profound transformative effect technology has on everything it touches, and I think how in the midst of this maelstrom we can only guess at what may or may not be of future value to students. So to some degree, educators simply have to find a way to get their students to find meaning in their educational experiences with technology.
Educators agree that students need to have something they can take away from a classroom for their education to have value. Normally that is mean figuratively, but all to often we don't consider the literal implications of such. The papers that hung on the refrigerator door, those trophies from field day, those art projects that all ended up looking like ash trays, those meant something to us as children. Yet a student who's education comes through the form of information and networks, what do they take home?
In our increasing focus on a technology centric education sometimes I have to ponder how you can add substance, real physical presence to what a student learns. On one hand they own their skills and experiences in the truest sense. No one can take away a student's memories and make them her own. The skills and knowledge can only be used by their rightful owner. Still I think we need more. I have recently seen the power of what happens when an educator gives a child something they can literally own as a product of their education in technology. I cannot go into details, but the effects are astounding.
Additionally, I will reveal that I come from a long line of educators. Once my mother gave me some advice. She said "When a student becomes the proprietor of their own knowledge and learning it changes everything about them. It changes how much they'll work for it, how much they want to retain it, and most of all how they improve their behavior because of it."

No comments: